Free Tax Software for Tax Year 2007
Ok here are the free / low cost tax software options I have found so far this year:
- Free Taxcut Basic (Federal Only) in mail. I received a CD in the mail a few weeks ago from H&R Block that contained a free version of Taxcut Basic (Federal Only). Once you pop the CD in, it suggests you upgrade to the premium version with state tax preparation; however it will let you install the full Basic Taxcut.
- Free or discounted Turbotax for Vanguard clients. If you are a Vanguard Flagship customer its free!
- Discounted Turbotax for T Row Price clients. Link may work for everyone
- Free TurboTax for simple returns (1040EZ).
- Free tax software based on family's income level. If you earn $54k or less - check it out.
- Free Taxcut Basic (Federal, Download only) at Download.com
- Free TaxAct. A lesser known software that has a basic version that has been offered for free for several years.
I don't have to use any tax software this year as I am currently on an international assignment and my employer is paying Earnst & Young to do my taxes. However, their web site requires me to input all the pertinent data page-by-page. It extremely time consuming, plus I am having difficulties trying to track down all our accounts and tax records while we are remote. I can't wait to get back to the US and get a more organized financial system in place for us.
Also see my 2007 general tax tips.
Related in Income Taxes:
Finally We Owe Money When We File Our Taxes (Apr 17, 2011) Its taken me forever, but I finally was able to pull all the pieces together this weekend to file my taxes. Its been a long time in the making, but I finally owe the government money when I file my...
Acknowledgement of Response from VA Dept of Taxation (Mar 30, 2011) In January I finally got a response from the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Taxation. Back in March of 2009 I had received a phone call out of the blue from Diversified Collections Services (a collections agency) indicating I owed...
Free Copy of TurboTax Basic (Nov 23, 2010) Intuit is offering a free download of TurboTax Basic (Federal Only) for Mac or Windows. I have found that the basic version allows you to cover all of your Federal income tax return needs, it just lacks the extra...