Investment Performance July 2008 (+3.60%)
This is an ongoing monthly update on how our equity investments are performing. Please see this background on the investment tool I developed and how I am using it to track our performance against a benchmark to measure our progress or lack thereof.
Its still a work in progress, any feedback is appreciated and may be incorporated into future monthly reports. The only equity investments not covered are:
1) my 401k which is invested in institutional index funds through my employer that I haven't found a tracking symbol for.
2) investments roughly worth less than $500, simply because I don't have the time and energy to keep up with them. I am thinking I will sell these off at some point and add the proceeds to my current investment portfolio because they are too much work to track.
- Wow! I finally beat the benchmark - the first time since I started tracking my investments against a benchmark 4 months ago. I don't know whether to celebrate or cry because my investments have not performed anything like I orginally expected against a benchmark.
- I sold 100 shares of IBM stock from my ESPP at $123/share. This was to raise a bit more cash for our house buying fund and I feel IBM is no longer grossly undervalued.
- I continued to add to our positions in Wachovia and the KBW Bank Index ETFs as their share values continued to fall.
- I invested an extra $400 above the $400 automatic monthly contributions to my wife's Roth IRAs to help us catchup on our annual contributions for 2008.
July 2008 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....