Investment Performance October 2008(-13.46%)
This is an ongoing monthly update on how our equity investments are performing. Please see this background on the investment tool I developed and how I am using it to track our performance against a benchmark to measure our progress or lack thereof.
Its still a work in progress, any feedback is appreciated and may be incorporated into future monthly reports. The only equity investments not covered are:
1) my 401k which is invested in institutional index funds through my employer that I haven't found a tracking symbol for.
2) investments roughly worth less than $500, simply because I don't have the time and energy to keep up with them. I am thinking I will sell these off at some point and add the proceeds to my current investment portfolio because they are too much work to track.
- October was a rough month - perhaps the worst the markets have ever had since I have been investing. However the good news if any is our investments beat our current benchmark by over 4%.
- We took as much opportunity this month as we could to buy stocks. Writing this up I am kicking myself that we didn't buy more.
- We picked up 150 additional shares of the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTI) in 50 share increments as the markets slid.
- We also added to investments in USG, GE, PFE, COP, and our IRAs.
- I also switch my 401(k) contributions to Roth 401(k) contributions to take advantage of the down market.
- While not shown in this report, according to my 401k website, my 401k is down 35.2% YTD at the end of October.
October 2008 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....