Investment Performance December 2008(+1.76%)
This is an ongoing monthly update on how our equity investments are performing. Please see this background on the investment tool I developed and how I am using it to track our performance against a benchmark to measure our progress or lack thereof.
Its still a work in progress, any feedback is appreciated and may be incorporated into future monthly reports. The only equity investments not covered are:
1) my 401k which is invested in institutional index funds through my employer that I haven't found a tracking symbol for.
2) investments roughly worth less than $500, simply because I don't have the time and energy to keep up with them. I am thinking I will sell these off at some point and add the proceeds to my current investment portfolio because they are too much work to track.
Once we get settled in a bit more I will work on making this report more comprehensive.
- December suprisingly ended in positive territory for us and we beat our benchmark investment for the 2nd month in a row.
- We ended up closing December taking cash out of our investments because we started tax loss harvesting and didn't reinvest the proceeds quick enough in other investments.
- We sold a significant portion of our Pfizer and Wachovia investments (for tax loss harvesting) and will likely reinvest a protion after the was rule window closes.
- I didn't have a chance to update this report with many of the dividends and year-end distributions received, I will add these to the report in January.
- While not shown in this report, according to my 401k website, my 401k is down 37.3% YTD at the end of December.
December 2008 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....