Investment Performance February 2009 (-9.94%)
This is an ongoing monthly update on how our equity investments are performing. Please see this background on the investment tool I developed and how I am using it to track our performance against a benchmark to measure our progress or lack thereof.
Its still a work in progress, any feedback is appreciated and may be incorporated into future monthly reports. The only equity investments not covered are:
1) my 401k which is invested in institutional index funds through my employer that I haven't found a tracking symbol for.
2) investments roughly worth less than $500, simply because I don't have the time and energy to keep up with them. I am thinking I will sell these off at some point and add the proceeds to my current investment portfolio because they are too much work to track.
Once we get settled in a bit more I will work on making this report more comprehensive.
- Another tough month for the market with our benchmark declining over 10%. We were able to just beat the benchmark this month, but I am sick of seeing red. How low could it go? I believe the market has finally gone overboard and overcorrected at this point. However our portfolio is still declining and it sucks.
- Part of our better than average performance was the large holding of IBM stock which eaked out a small gain for the month. I am beginning to think I should sell some IBM stock and reallocate some of my investment into areas that have been beaten down.
- Our investing pace has slowed down as we have intested most of our non-emegency fund cash. We have a few thousand left outside of our monthly cash flow that will be likely invested next month.
February 2009 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....