Investment Performance April 2009 (+10.88%)
This is an ongoing monthly update on how our equity investments are performing. Please see this background on the investment tool I developed and how I am using it to track our performance against a benchmark to measure our progress or lack thereof.
Its still a work in progress, any feedback is appreciated and may be incorporated into future monthly reports. The only equity investments not covered are:
1) my 401k which is invested in institutional index funds through my employer that I haven't found a tracking symbol for.
2) investments roughly worth less than $400-$500, simply because I don't have the time and energy to keep up with them. I am thinking I will sell these off at some point and add the proceeds to my current investment portfolio because they are too much work to track.
- April turned out to provide a terrific upswing on top of the big gains in March. For the 2nd month in a row, our benchmark and our portfolio posted the best returns since I started tracking our monthly return over a year ago.
- Our portfolio did not beat our benchmark this month, but the difference is pretty much a rounding error - given that we have beat the benchmark for the last 5 months, I'm still pretty happy we our current portfolio returns.
- Dow's aquisition of Rohm & Haas closed at the beginning of the month, netting us a very nice return on our small investment. We netted a 35.2% return on our investment in 4 months. That would be over a 150% annualized return - not bad! Turned out to be a very good investment, but hindsight is always 20/20.
- We made a couple other small incremental investments this month including Pfizer, Conoco Phillips, KBW Banking Index with the Rohm & Haas proceeds.
April 2009 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....