June 2010 Monthly Cash Flow
Last month I posted our May cash flow analysis and given how tight things are these days with our downshifting to a single income and starting a family, feel that we probably need to pay closer attention to our cash flow at least in the near term.
So here an update with our June 2010 cash flow:
Here is our monthly update:
- Income - Fairly steady with my wife's take home dropping to a more typical amount for the month. May's income was about twice what my wife normally brings home.
- Food - It definitely looks like we need to pay closer attention to our food bills. My wife and I have made significant changes after she stopped working - mainly we limited eating out to 4 or less times a month along with focusing on utilizing coupons or specials to keep our average restaurant bill down to $15-$20 for the two of us. However, that being said clearly we need to pay closer attention to our grocery budget as that is where the bulk of our spending is. Maybe we can set a budget of $400/month for groceries and see if that helps us reel this in. I believe we can get this down to <$600/mo on a regular basis.
- Utilities were up slightly as we went on an equal payment plan for gas heat this past year and had to pay off the remaining balance.
- Gifts - were up for the month as I had to rent a tuxedo for a friend's wedding and decide to categorize that as a gift.
- Misc - We continue our management of major purchases via monthly cash flow. Last month our major purchase was a cruise/vacation for my wife and I. Our major purchases for June included some patio furniture at Target my wife grabbed at 75% off (~$160); an Xbox360 media extender (~$136); and upgrades to our media center (~$100).
Related in Cash Flow:
August 2014 Cash Flow (Sep 05, 2014) Well its been nearly 2 years since I sat down and did a scrub of our monthly cash flow. I use to do this regularly w/ MS Money, but now I find it painful to do. Its a lot more...
November 2012 Cash Flow (Dec 03, 2012) Its been 2 years since I last showed a snapshot of our monthly cash flow. I've realized some things have changed with our growing family and over the past couple years I've put a focus on improving our cash flow...
Reducing Financial Impacts of a Job Loss (Jan 26, 2012) My wife was recently notified that the preschool she teaches at for a few hours a week is shutting down. It got us thinking about a more difficult scenario for us - the loss of my job. Given its by...