August 2010 Monthly Cash Flow
I have started posting our monthly cash flow analysis given how tight things are these days with our downshifting to a single income and starting a family. I believe we need to continue to pay closer attention to our cash flow while we get through this tight period of our journey to financial freedom.
So here an update with our August 2010 cash flow:
Here is our monthly update:
- Income - Fairly steady with my wife's take slightly higher than avg. for the month. She works a couple hours a week tutoring and at other kid focused businesses.
- Our mortgage expense was lower this month since we refinanced and did not need to make a mortgage payment. This month expenses includes just the accrued interest on the paid off mortgage and prepaid interest at the refinance closing.
- Food - Wow what a disappointment after we felt we were getting things under control in July. Talking through with my wife we think about ~$200 of this is bedroom decor my wife bought at Super Target and ended up getting classified as groceries. However that still means we spent $700+ on food/dining and that is still well above my ~$500 target.
- Gifts - finally a slower month.
- Charity - Made an additional one time donation to Americares' Pakistan Flooding Relief Fund.
- Misc - We continue our management of major purchases via monthly cash flow. Our major purchases for August were ~$200 in bedroom decor (curtains + comforter), a beach condo rental for $400, and a wireless router for our home ($90) - our cheap router from China was no longer cutting it.
- Things are still uncomfortably tight - if we had to make our normal mortgage payment this month we would have only had <$100 left this month.
Related in Cash Flow:
August 2014 Cash Flow (Sep 05, 2014) Well its been nearly 2 years since I sat down and did a scrub of our monthly cash flow. I use to do this regularly w/ MS Money, but now I find it painful to do. Its a lot more...
November 2012 Cash Flow (Dec 03, 2012) Its been 2 years since I last showed a snapshot of our monthly cash flow. I've realized some things have changed with our growing family and over the past couple years I've put a focus on improving our cash flow...
Reducing Financial Impacts of a Job Loss (Jan 26, 2012) My wife was recently notified that the preschool she teaches at for a few hours a week is shutting down. It got us thinking about a more difficult scenario for us - the loss of my job. Given its by...