Investment Performance January 2011 (+2.06%)
This is an ongoing monthly update on how our equity investments are performing. Please see this background on the investment tool I developed and how I am using it to track our performance against a benchmark to measure our progress or lack thereof.
- Our monthly performance barely beat our benchmark (+2.06% vs +2.05%).
- This marks the 2nd time in 11 months that we have beaten our benchmark, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTI).
- In January we made several investments in Fairfax Financial. We continue to accumulate the stock as I love the business and the management team and don't think its overvalued.
- I started a very small position in Bankers Trust (BTC) a small cap bank that has very compelling valuations on my brother's the recommendation. The stock was trading at something like 30% book value so we will see if it pays off. I'll continue to accumulate if it continues to look attractive.
- We also purchased more China Fire as the stock fell further I suspect on worries of accounting fraud.
- We also made our regular monthly investments in our IRAs and Conocco Philips DRIP, and had some dividend reinvestments.
- Our recent monthly returns were: Jan 09 -4.98%, Feb -9.94%, Mar +8.45%, Apr +10.88%, May +4.65%, Jun +0.89%, Jul +9.94%, Aug +4.36%, Sept 3.15%, Oct -2.34%, Nov +5.83%, Dec +1.85%, Jan '10 -2.34%, Feb +2.25%, Mar +5.88%, Apr +2.54%, May -8.13%, June -5.64%, July 6.17%. Aug -4.87%, Sept +8.48%, Oct 2.47%, Nov -0.96%, Dec +8.01%, Jan 2011 +2.06%.....
January 2011 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....