Save Money on Kid's Outdoor Playsets
My wife and finally bought an outdoor wooden playset for our daughter's upcoming second birthday. I was surprised at how much these swing sets cost - anywhere from $700-$3,000+ seems to be the typical price range for a wooden swing set. The cost was really surprising to me given they are mostly just wood and bolts.
Based on our experience here are our tips for a playset purchase:
- The warehouse clubs (BJs, Costco, Sam Club, etc) appear to typically have the best all around value on new playsets.
- Looks on craigslist for a used playset nearby. We were suprised at the demand for used playsets on craigslist and found they typically sold within 24 hours of listing in our area.
- Off season purchase could save you significant money. We just missed a Costco closeout sale of one of their 2010 swingset models that would have been a great value. Also I suspect less competition on used playsets during Fall/Winter.
- A cordless drill with socket adapter to screw/unscrew the bolts will save hours in playset assembly.
- You can buy inexpensive replacement swings, infant swings, etc from Lowes/Home Depot. Especially handy if you buy a used playset.
We ended up purchasing a 2.5 year old Creative Playthings Chesapeake wooden playset off of craigslist in like new condition. The sellers were moving and didn't have room at their new place for their playset. The sellers had paid $1,959.17 for the playset and we purchased it for $800, plus spent ~$80 in gas to transport it back to our home. Disassembly of the playset into sections for transport and re-assembly was easier than I expected and probably the same amount of work as assembling a new playset from scratch.
Related in Money Saving Tips:
Free Museum Day 2014 (Sep 27, 2014) The Smithsonian Magazine is holding Museum Day on 9/27/2014 (today!) which is a great opportunity to get 2 free tickets to any participating museum. You can sign up for free museum tickets here. Also, it is National Public Lands Day...
Buy The Cheapest Baby Crib (Sep 20, 2013) My wife and I have learned and experienced a lot in the past four wonderful years of parenthood. My advice to future parents out there - buy the cheapest baby crib you can find. I believe when you are...
Free Museum Day 2013 (Sep 08, 2013) The Smithsonian Magazine is holding Museum Day on 9/28/2013 which is a great opportunity to get 2 free tickets to any participating museum. You can sign up for free museum tickets here. For folks with young children this is a...