Investment Performance April - August 2012 (-2.28%)
I'm catching up on our monthly stock investing reports. I've been delinquent since about March when I got a new work laptop without MS Excel and wasn't able to update my existing Excel tracking spreadsheet.
I tried to create a Google spreadsheet to handle, but found the function to pull stock quotes didn't give me the control I needed so things languished until I was able to get MS Excel back on my system. Now I'm catching up.
This report covers April-August stock transactions.
- This 5 month period was ugly for my personal portfolio. The market was up slightly over the time, but our portfolio performed much worse than our benchmark. We saw a -2.28% decline in our portfolio compared to our VTI benchmark decrease of 0.87%.
- I've now been tracking our monthly investment performance for 4 years and recently posted an analysis of long term investment performance. I'm still mulling over what actions to take from the review, but likely will be moving more of our investments into Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index as a result. I still feel compelled to manage at least a portion of our portfolio as I view becoming an above average investor an important component to being financially free.
- The only major investment we made was additional investments in Genworth as I see the stock a compelling long term investment.
- We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs and Conocco Philips DRIP, and had some dividends and dividend reinvestments.
- Our recent monthly returns were: Jan 09 -4.98%, Feb -9.94%, Mar +8.45%, Apr +10.88%, May +4.65%, Jun +0.89%, Jul +9.94%, Aug +4.36%, Sept 3.15%, Oct -2.34%, Nov +5.83%, Dec +1.85%, Jan '10 -2.34%, Feb +2.25%, Mar +5.88%, Apr +2.54%, May -8.13%, June -5.64%, July 6.17%. Aug -4.87%, Sept +8.48%, Oct 2.47%, Nov -0.96%, Dec +8.01%, Jan 2011 +2.06%, Feb 2.57%, Mar +0.15%, Apr +3.04%, May -1.56%, June -1.63%, July -2.71%, Aug -5.42%, Sept -7.06%, Oct +9.88%, Nov -0.39%, Dec +2.10%, Jan '12 +4.03%, Feb +4.68%, Mar +2.35%, Apr -1.74%.....
April-August 2012 Investment Report:
Related in Stocks:
Chairmen Letters to Shareholders (Mar 09, 2014) Its that time of year again --the close of fiscal years means an overload of annual reports including Letters to Shareholders. Two annual letters that I read each year are those from Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet) and Fairfax Financial (Prem...
Investment Performance January 2014 (-2.94%) (Feb 23, 2014) January 2014 Investment Report: January Highlights: January was a bad way to start out the year, but our portfolio performed slightly better thank our benchmark (-2.94% vs -3.17%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some...
Investment Performance December 2013 (+2.20%) (Jan 10, 2014) December 2013 Investment Report: December Highlights: December was another subpar for us as our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark (+2.20% vs +2.58%). We made our regular monthly investments in our Roth IRAs, and some dividends & dividend reinvestments....