July 2013 Net Worth Update (+$40,011)
Highlights for July
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our June Zillow property estimates are: $195,359; $120,809; $282,207; and $236,537.
- July had our net worth increase significantly with our gains almost completely driven by stock market valuation increases.
- Our spending is still above average as we settled into our new apartment in China and began to add some discipline to our spending going forward. I expect our credit card balance to go down further next month as a result. Expenses will be slightly above average as our living expenses will be less (reimbursements from work) but our travel expenses will certainly be higher as we try to make the most of the opportunity for the family to spend time in Asia .
- Our increase in cash this month was largely attributed to selling ~$10k in taxable stock holdings. We also returned the security deposit on a rental that turned over this month.
- I also nudged up our principal payments on the variable IELOC for house #2 this month that is currently at 4.25%. We currently carry about $66k in variable rate loans (IELOC, HELOC) on houses #1 & #2. If our economy continues to improve I expect interest rates could rise over the next few years. I'd like to be in a better position in-case that happens and continue to reduce the balances we have to increase our flexibility when the time comes.
- In July our actively managed portfolio beat our VTI benchmark. At this point I feel the need to increase our cash position (and emergency funds) as the stock market continues to rise. I'll post my investing report shortly.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...