January 2015 Net Worth Update (-$20,867)
Highlights for January
- We have earned approx $3,000 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through 6 credit card signup bonuses last year. Our credit scores are still hovering around 800, but since we have no plans to utilize our credit for other financing anytime soon, we are making a little money off our credit scores by taking advantage of these promotional opportunities.We are not spending extra, but focusing our spending on these new cards to earn the bonuses.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions.
- Our expenses were up significantly in January namely due to Christmas spending overhang. A large portion of this was ~$1,600 in giftcards (with promotional discounts) we purchased for ourselves since we knew we would use them in the next several months. The biggest spend was the 10% of Target giftcards during Black Friday since we do the majority of our food shopping @ SuperTarget.
- We filed an homeowner's insurance claim late last year for hail damage to our roof. In January we had a new roof put on and paid $500 out of pocket to the contractor for a ~$8,600 roof.
- I was on business trips for approximately half of January. Our family expenses are now ticking up when I'm traveling more whereas previously we were saving a bit of money. This primarily due to my wife having to take care of 2 young kids on her own with less help. I also had about $500 in reimbursed travel expense in Jan that under my new employer take a bit longer to get reimbursed than before (approx 1.5 months vs 2 weeks).
- I made an additional investment of ~$2,100 in Genworth which contributed to our cash reduction but otherwise was a quiet investment month. I haven't spent enough time recently on keeping up with our overall finances (including our investments) and its beginning to show.
- Im still trying to understand why our networth dropped $20k in January. Obviously the US markets being down ~4% was a major part of that, but Im guessing also our account totals at the end of January may have been off a bit - we will see if February brings a bit of balance. If not I'm concerned that I'm not paying close enough attention to our cash flows.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...