May 2015 Net Worth Update (+15,309)
Highlights for April
- We have earned approx $3,400 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through credit card signup bonuses in the part year. We are actively working on 2 additional bonuses including the Delta Amex Card for 50,000 Skymiles & Barclay Travel Plus Card for $400 in travel credit.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions.
- I spent 2 weeks in May on a business trip to China. I enjoying traveling (this trip included my first visit to Chengdu, China); but with a young family back home its difficult to manage. We end up spending more while I travel for work.
- I'm expecting a small annual performance bonus in June for the first time in a couple years from my new employer. We continue to go through a great deal of transformation and uncertainty as we integrate our organization that was acquired from IBM last year. Change can be hard, but I continue to embrace it and hope it will payoff down the road.
- In May we hired a painter to help take care of some long standing projects around the house. In the end we spent about $1,400 to update several rooms and some of the exterior of our house. I'm so far behind on home projects that it was a good value to see some progress, but I cringe at the thought of hiring someone to perform a task we can do ourselves. I do see this expense as a good example of the cost of the extra hours I am putting in the office that I could otherwise be putting towards home projects or this blog ;-).
- Our portfolio performed poorly compared to our benchmark. I continue to think the markets are overvalued and focus our free cash on paying down our property mortgages.
- In June we have a beach vacation planned for a week after my oldest daughter completes kindergarten. We are looking forward to some down time.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...