December 2015 Net Worth Update (-$15,351)
Highlights for December
- Well we ended up closing out 2015 on a down month. On the surface our net worth grew $59,700 which isn't great, but growth none the less. Our stock investments ended up slightly in the RED for 2015.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions.
- I spent another 2 weeks traveling for work in December, and hope I am done for a few weeks. Increased business travel is becoming a new normal my family and I are trying to adjust to. As I have mentioned previously, now with young kids and increased obligations at home, I view business travel as having a slight negative impact on our savings ability.
- December is a big expense month for us as I now pay annual real estate property taxes for 2 of my investment properties in December.
- In December I received 2 small employer bonuses that helped offset the real estate taxes we paid this month.
- Overall expenses were up significantly in December primary for Holiday gift giving. I estimate we spent collectively in excess of $2,000 in gifts in Dec.
- Target ran a 1 day special in late Dec for 10% of Target gift cards. We have a Super Target very close to our home which we use as our primary grocery store and typically spend $500+ each month there. We purchased approximately $2,160 in Target gift cards in December which we will consume in the next 4-5 months with our normal spend run rate at Target.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...