January 2016 Net Worth (-$63,181)
Highlights for January
- Well 2016 is off to an interesting start! Ive been pessimistic about valuations over the past couple years and now I'm starting to get excited. Its hard to be patient, as already some stocks appear interesting. I believe my primary mistake was jumping in too early last time around, so this time I'm dabbling, but prepared to wait and see.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions.
- I spent another 2 weeks traveling for work in January. I've roughly spent 50% of the past 6 months traveling for work and hope this dies off later this year, but still have a busy 1H2016. Increased business travel is becoming a new normal my family and I are trying to adjust to. As I have mentioned previously, now with young kids and increased obligations at home, I view business travel as having a slight negative impact on our savings ability.
- January was fairly quiet as we recover from the annual Dec spending blitz and start to buckle down agaon.
- In January we booked vacation to an all-inclusive resort in Jamaica in March for the family. The vacation is largely being paid for from airline/hotel points, but we will spend ~$1k in airline taxes/fees and a couple nights we were unable to pay for with hotel points. My wife and I are both excited about it and expect the resort will give us more of the down time that we are looking for!
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...