Despite a lot of great advice to the contrary, I opted to have the heat exchanger replaced this week on the gas pack (HVAC) unit on my new house instead of getting a whole new HVAC system.
A couple things really made this decision for me:
- the AC side of the gas pack (I was told by the experts) is in amazingly great shape.
- I am trying to conserve cash at this point in time.
- I had a technician come out and tell me that I should get a new system with the whole sales pitch. I asked him to show my why - he pointed out a couple pieces of rusting sheeting metal that held a sensor at one end of the unit and said he didn't know if he got get that anymore; if it broke, I would need a new unit. After questioning him further - he admitted we could just make the part by shaping a piece of sheet metal if need be in the future.
- I kept thinking about my capital investment analysis class back in graduate school and while I never formally put the numbers together I recognized I only needed to keep this unit less than 6 more years to get a good payback on the repair and I know these units can last 20+ years. One of these days I'll have to crunch the numbers and see if this was a good decision.
- I just put a completely new system on my other property a few years ago and I think it makes sense to spread out the replacement schedule for future cash management.
In the end it was $2,001.01 to replace the heat exchanger on my 12yr old Carrier gas pack. The technician cleaned the AC side of the gas pack for no charge after I asked him how I could clean it myself.
Now I can focus on rebuilding my cash position.
Related in General:
Save Money on Overhead Garage Storage (Aug 28, 2012) With the upcoming expansion of our family, my wife and I have been discussing the space in our home. While we have a good size home (~2,600 sq ft), its currently laid out with 3 bedrooms and 1 bonus room...
When is a SmartPhone the Right Financial Decision? (May 14, 2012) I last purchased a typical cell phone back in October 2008 with a 2 year contract when we returned from China. My old cell phone broke while we were on assignment in China and I needed something once we...
Black Friday Shopping Highlights (Nov 27, 2011) I have little interest in going out and standing in long lines to pick up a few deals on Black Friday. However we did pick up a few deals over the weekend mostly online: $159 GE Front Loading Washer @...