Lost Luggage Tips
Up until yesterday, I was one of the few that could say that they have never lost a piece of luggage. This is pretty rare since I always check luggage and fly pretty often all over the world for work. My lucky streak ran out yesterday as I flew back to the US for the next couple weeks for our wedding.
Here are a few tips I have learned along the way for dealing with lost luggage:
- If there is anything you MUST have with 24hrs of arriving in your destination, don't check it
- Don't check valuables
- When your luggage doesn't pop out right way get in the lost luggage line quick so you don't have to wait forever. If your luggage didn't make it that usually means alot of other people's didn't make it either.
- Ask the luggage attendent about a toilerty bag. Most airlines won't offer, but have free kits available with toothbrushes/shaving kits to help you get by over night.
- The attendants can be a little tricky with residency questions, they may ask you if you live in the state or some other vague question. What they are really asking is are you going to your primary residence. This is because they have an allowance (usually around $25/day) that you can claim to purchase necessary items if you don't get your bags within 24hrs of arrival. They don't have to pay if you are headed to you primary residence.
- Relax, lost luggage happens to us all. Look at it as an oppurtunity for someone to carry and deliver your bags door-to-door :-).
Related in General:
Save Money on Overhead Garage Storage (Aug 28, 2012) With the upcoming expansion of our family, my wife and I have been discussing the space in our home. While we have a good size home (~2,600 sq ft), its currently laid out with 3 bedrooms and 1 bonus room...
When is a SmartPhone the Right Financial Decision? (May 14, 2012) I last purchased a typical cell phone back in October 2008 with a 2 year contract when we returned from China. My old cell phone broke while we were on assignment in China and I needed something once we...
Black Friday Shopping Highlights (Nov 27, 2011) I have little interest in going out and standing in long lines to pick up a few deals on Black Friday. However we did pick up a few deals over the weekend mostly online: $159 GE Front Loading Washer @...