Tips for Building Your Brand on the Internet
Everyone has a personal brand. Your good name, your personal value proposition, your network and your career are all at least partially tied to your personal brand. Investing in your personal brand can be a powerful way to further all of these.
If you are working in the corporate world it is obvious. According to a Career Builder survey nearly 50% of employers look for information about perspective employees online. An online presence strengthens what your sell in you resume and interview. This is so important into today's tough job market.
Your brand name may be valuable some day. If people value your opinion, information can be monetized in the future and you can plant seeds now to develop that down the road. For instance anyone who wants to write a book and develop an audience will find an online presence more and more critical to sucess as we move forward.
Just as building a brand is important to you, it is important to your network of friends, family, colleagues. Just look at Facebook, by strengthening your online brand, you are strengthening the brand of everyone your connected with, increasing the value of everyone in your network. It will a pretty powerful tool in the future and its importance will grow overtime.
Measuring Personal Brand Success
You aren't likely to see an impact right away if your not looking to build your online presence for monetization purposes. However it is easy to measure your online presence by googling your name and see how quick you can find yourself. With investment in your brand you should be able to see an improvement in your google results.
Even if you just spent 1 hr a year doing this, it can pay off. Planting seeds allows your network to build up overtime. Start by creating basic pages on one or two social bookmarking sites. Start to interlink them and link to people in your network and encourage them to do the same.
Some Examples of Good Branding
- Penelope Trunk - say what you want about her, but she has created a great online awareness about her (true, it is what she touts in her writing).
- New Book Authors - Look at Alan Corey, Tim Ferris, Chris Guillebeau (who has commented on this blog), etc. These folks have created pretty good brand awareness for obvious reasons - it helps bring publicity for their books or products.
Start by establishing accounts on these sites:
- Google profile
- Other social networking sites including Windows Live pages and classmates.
Some other ideas to build your brand:
- 1)Register a domain name for your name. Create a web site or just hold onto the name for a future project.
- 2) When you comment on blogs like this one be sure to include a link to one of your branding pages.
- 3) Start a personal blog on blogspot.com or your own site.
Related in General:
Save Money on Overhead Garage Storage (Aug 28, 2012) With the upcoming expansion of our family, my wife and I have been discussing the space in our home. While we have a good size home (~2,600 sq ft), its currently laid out with 3 bedrooms and 1 bonus room...
When is a SmartPhone the Right Financial Decision? (May 14, 2012) I last purchased a typical cell phone back in October 2008 with a 2 year contract when we returned from China. My old cell phone broke while we were on assignment in China and I needed something once we...
Black Friday Shopping Highlights (Nov 27, 2011) I have little interest in going out and standing in long lines to pick up a few deals on Black Friday. However we did pick up a few deals over the weekend mostly online: $159 GE Front Loading Washer @...