December 2012 Net Worth Update (+$6,595)
Highlights for Decemer
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money. In December I signed up for a Capital One Spark Business Credit Card that offered a $500 bonus after spending $4,500 within the 1st 3 months and offers 1.5% cash back off all purchases with no annual fee.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our Jan Zillow property estimates are: $189,928; $121,219; $291,952 (which recently appraised for $270k); and $228,995.
- Now that we have 2 houses with no primary mortgage with escrow, we paid out ~$4,400 property taxes in December.
- In December we took our first road trip with the expanded family for the holidays. We spent $406 ($287 - tow hitch, ~$60 hitch haul, $59 cargo bag) to expand our cargo carrying capacity to handle the bigger family. Were hoping with this expansion well be able to indefinitely put off having to purchase a larger vehicle for the family.
- In December our investment portfolio outperformed nicely compared to our benchmark (2.91% vs 1.30%). I'll post our investment report shortly.
- We are still a stone's throw away from being millionaires (on the balance sheet at least) and inching closer. We didn't make it in 2012, but I feel pretty comfortable we will pass the milestone in 1H2013 barring any unforseen major changes.
Related in Net Worth:
September 2014 Net Worth Update (-$14,957) (Oct 07, 2014) Highlights for SeptemberBetween my wife and I we have earned approx $3,000 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through 6 credit card signup bonuses this year. Our credit scores are still hovering around 800, but since we have no...
August 2014 Net Worth Update (+$32,704) (Sep 03, 2014) Highlights for AugustBetween my wife and I we have earned approx $3,000 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through 6 credit card signup bonuses this year. Our credit scores are still hovering around 800, but since we have no...
July 2014 Net Worth Update (-$12,499) (Aug 03, 2014) Highlights for JulyI just signed up for our 4th and 5th new credit card promotion opportunity this year. Since we have no plans to utilize our credit for other financing anytime soon, we plan to make a little money...