February 2013 Net Worth Update (+$8,144)
Highlights for February
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money.
- We earned a $500 credit card bonus this month after meeting a spending threshold on a Capital One Spark Business Credit Card promotion we received in the mail.
- We used Amazon payments to boost our spending this month to take advantage of the credit card promotion. As a result we had additional cash (and corresponding credit card liabilities) on our balance sheet this month.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our Feb Zillow property estimates are: $190,553; $118,977; $292,885 (which recently appraised for $270k); and $228,028.
- Major one-time transactions for the month included +$600 for FSA reimbursements from 2012, +$500 credit card bonus, -$600 for storm damage at a rental property, -$300 preschool deposit for daughter for next school year.
- My wife and I went through our freezer this month and made a list of all main dishes (meats, prepared meals, etc) that we had in the freezer and committed to eating 2-3 meals a week out of our freezer to cycle through a lot of stuff that is aging in storage. Its amazing how many meals we have to go through. We should see a significant reduction in our food expenses for the next couple months if we stick to it.
- February was pretty flat from an investment standpoint. With the markets now hitting all time highs I'm certainly not moving major new money into the market. We made our sizable investments back in 2008-2010 and now we are reaping the benefits.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...