February 2013 Net Worth Update (+$8,144)
Highlights for February
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money.
- We earned a $500 credit card bonus this month after meeting a spending threshold on a Capital One Spark Business Credit Card promotion we received in the mail.
- We used Amazon payments to boost our spending this month to take advantage of the credit card promotion. As a result we had additional cash (and corresponding credit card liabilities) on our balance sheet this month.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our Feb Zillow property estimates are: $190,553; $118,977; $292,885 (which recently appraised for $270k); and $228,028.
- Major one-time transactions for the month included +$600 for FSA reimbursements from 2012, +$500 credit card bonus, -$600 for storm damage at a rental property, -$300 preschool deposit for daughter for next school year.
- My wife and I went through our freezer this month and made a list of all main dishes (meats, prepared meals, etc) that we had in the freezer and committed to eating 2-3 meals a week out of our freezer to cycle through a lot of stuff that is aging in storage. Its amazing how many meals we have to go through. We should see a significant reduction in our food expenses for the next couple months if we stick to it.
- February was pretty flat from an investment standpoint. With the markets now hitting all time highs I'm certainly not moving major new money into the market. We made our sizable investments back in 2008-2010 and now we are reaping the benefits.
Related in Net Worth:
September 2014 Net Worth Update (-$14,957) (Oct 07, 2014) Highlights for SeptemberBetween my wife and I we have earned approx $3,000 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through 6 credit card signup bonuses this year. Our credit scores are still hovering around 800, but since we have no...
August 2014 Net Worth Update (+$32,704) (Sep 03, 2014) Highlights for AugustBetween my wife and I we have earned approx $3,000 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through 6 credit card signup bonuses this year. Our credit scores are still hovering around 800, but since we have no...
July 2014 Net Worth Update (-$12,499) (Aug 03, 2014) Highlights for JulyI just signed up for our 4th and 5th new credit card promotion opportunity this year. Since we have no plans to utilize our credit for other financing anytime soon, we plan to make a little money...