May 2013 Net Worth Update (+$16,453)
Highlights for May
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money. We earned a $500 bonus on our last offer on new Capital One Spark credit card this year.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our May Zillow property estimates are: $192,960; $122,251; $299,489 (which recently appraised for $270k); and $234,427.
- Our monthly expenses are trending above average as our family is preparing for our upcoming China international assignment. So much for budgets at this point in time. We are racing the clock to get everything ready.
- We had an unexpected issue with the HVAC at Rental #2 and decided to go ahead and replace the unit; it was due. However that is the 2nd HVAC system we bought in the past 4 months and at $4k+/unit they add up quickly.
- May was a good month from an investment perspective. My actively managed portfolio beat our VTI benchmark. I'll post my investing report shortly.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...