July 2014 Net Worth Update (-$12,499)
Highlights for July
- I just signed up for our 4th and 5th new credit card promotion opportunity this year. Since we have no plans to utilize our credit for other financing anytime soon, we plan to make a little money off our credit scores by taking advantage of these promotional opportunities. We have already earned $1,600 in gift cards from 3 of these opportunities in 2014. We are not spending extra, but focusing our spending on these new cards to earn the bonuses and doing some round trip transactions via Amazon payments.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our July Zillow property estimates are: $202,649; $148,207; $315,570; and $208,748 (total: $875,174 vs $751,255 on balance sheet).
- Cash savings finally ticked up this month. After purchasing our minivan in March, we are finally seeing some progress in rebuilding our savings. I'd like to rebuild this to around $100k with $60k for our emergency fund (12 months of living expenses) and $40k for future investment opportunities.
- Our oldest daughter started Kindergarten this month! Its hard to believe how fast time has flown by these past 5 years since she was born. It reminds me we need to crank up the 529 college savings. We have about $23k in various 529 college savings plans for our 2 children and contribute $220/mo to them.
- Investments had a sharp downturn in the end July more than offsetting all our savings for the month. I'm pretty comfortable w/ our position as I've highlighted before I feel the market is currently overvalued.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...