August 2014 Net Worth Update (+$32,704)
Highlights for August
- Between my wife and I we have earned approx $3,000 (in gift cards, points, and miles) through 6 credit card signup bonuses this year. Our credit scores are still hovering around 800, but since we have no plans to utilize our credit for other financing anytime soon, we are making a little money off our credit scores by taking advantage of these promotional opportunities.We are not spending extra, but focusing our spending on these new cards to earn the bonuses and doing some round trip transactions via Amazon payments.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our August Zillow property estimates are: $201,267; $146,934; $318,273; and $210,577 (total: $877,051 vs $751,255 on balance sheet).
- Stock markets had significant gains this month and our paper gains were up significantly as a result. I continue to be cautious as I feel the market is over valued and Ive been increasing my cash position. I have approximately 25% of my 401k in cash right now waiting for a compelling investment opportunity.
- I did a little back of the envelope math this week and convinced myself we are saving nearly 50% of our take home pay. As our finances have gotten more complex and our overall expenses have risen I suspected our saving rate has declined. But our core living expenses are generally tallying about 50% of our take home pay. The one big exception has been our new minivan purchase this year, which really throws everything out of whack.
- We have a 2 bedroom condo rented in Myrtle Beach for a week in September. Looking forward to a break from work and *hopefully* a little time to recharge.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...