We Were Asked To Extend Our Assignment In China
Not completely unexpected, I was asked today if we could extend our international assignment till the end of 2008.
With only 4 weeks left, we are starting to look forward to everything that is going to happen when we get back. We can finally start to consolidate our stuff and find a place to settle down. It will be nice not to have to live out of a couple suitcases when we get back. That said we are really enjoying our time here in China. We have experienced so much in just the first 6 months of our marriage including visiting Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and several spots in China.
If we were to stick around for another six months we have a number of things to figure out:
- Finances - We need to sort out if it makes financial sense for us to stick around. There are a lot of financial implications if we stay vs going home. Tax situation changes, my wife won't be able to contribute to a 401k in 2008, etc.
- Wife's Career - my wife won't be able to slide back into a teaching position at the beginning of the school year. This could potentially be an income loss up until the beginning of the following school year and make it more challenging to find the type of position she is looking for.
- Rental Properties - We need to rerent both rental properties. We were going to be back in the US in time to turn around and rerent both of our rental properties . We need to figure out a plan on how we get this done if we are not going home.
- Petcare - We have a pet that we have made arrangements to have taken care of while we are gone up until June, but after that we are going to need to make new arrangements.
- Spending Time With Family - We are both pretty close to our families and had planned to spend time with them when we get back. If we stay we need to address this.
- Life Planning - Even though we are still currently thinking a lot about our long term plans, we need to figure out if and how this fits in the big picture. If this does not move us towards our long term goals then why would we do it?
Guess my wife and I have a lot of stuff to talk about tonight.
Related in Temporary Assignment:
Wrapped China Assignment, Round 2 (Jan 01, 2014) Hanoi, Vietnam We just wrapped up our temporary assignment in China and arrived back in the US before the end of the year. Its amazing how time flies, it seems like just a few days ago that we began...
Packing Tips for Extended Family Travel (Oct 14, 2013) My young family is on the move - we are currently living in China on a 6 month work assignment. With the exorbitant cost to ship additional stuff to China we were incented to only bring what we could fit...
Survival Guide to Traveling with Young Kids (Jul 28, 2013) We didn't have much experience traveling with our young kids prior to our current assignment in China. We did lots of reading in preparation, but we were unprepared for both how exhausting and rewarding it has been for us. Here...