Thoughts Midway Through Transatlantic Journey
- We should do this more often – life is too short to not get out and explore on a regular basis. I'm realizing I've been stuck in a comfort zone doing the same old thing for too long.
- Despite my best intentions to put some focus on the blog and other personal projects I find the time cruising highly inefficient, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We are thoroughly enjoying our time on the cruise. I’m maybe getting 2 productive hours of work done in a day at sea. Its spread out in short bursts in between conversations, people watching, daydreaming, eating, and relaxing.
- For this transatlantic journey the flights were the single most expensive component of the trip. The cruise tickets cost is $819 compared to $951 for our flights. Even though we used airline miles for nearly all the flights the taxes and fees made those components the most expensive. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time trying to determine if flying with miles was going to the be the cheapest way to travel – perhaps next time we consider a big trip like this we need to spend more effort in trying to see if there is a less expensive way to travel.
- For the price a discounted transatlantic cruise definitely has to be one of the best ways to stretch your travel dollar. My wife and I are visiting Spain, Panama, and 3 Caribbean islands over 3 weeks for roughly ~$3k for the entire trip while enjoying excellent fine dining on the cruise for 2 full weeks.
- Perhaps the highlight for me during the cruise is our dinner companions. We are sitting with 2 couples - a couple in their late twenties from Germany who quit their jobs and doing a 1.5 year bike trek through Europe and South America on 20k Euros. The other couple is in their thirties from Oregon who quit their jobs and are doing a 15month trek around the world with a budget of $35k USD. Their stories have been very inspiring to me in regards to taking unconventional paths to fulfill some of their dreams.
Related in Cruise Vacation:
Householding Accounts for Airline Miles (Feb 24, 2013) My family is considering a couple potential international travel opportunities this year and it will be the first time the full family (2 parents + 2 kids) would be traveling. I am an airline mile feind and one early concern...
Marriott Hotels Summer Promotion Get 1 Free Night After 2 Stays (Jul 09, 2012) While on my recent last minute business trip I did what I could to take advantage of hotel chain promotions to maximize rewards. Here are a couple summer promotions that caught my eye:Marriott Hotels, Earn 1 Free Night at any...
More Savings on our Transatlantic Cruise (Dec 19, 2011) I usually find it valuable after a big expense like our recent transatlantic cruise to reflect on the value of our expenses and if there are areas where we might be able to do slightly better the next time. A...