Transatlantic Cruise Cost Summary
Here is a summary breakdown of our total trip expenses from our transatlantic journey. Including travel days, we spent 21 days on our journey:
|Major Travel Components||USD Expense|
|Cruise (including tips)||$ 1,103.66|
|Other Transportation||$ 340.74|
Some notes about our trip expenses:
- We used our hotel points/airline miles to cover 4/5 hotel nights. The 5th night we purchased a room on orbitz for $75.
- We took advantage of a recent British Airways credit card promotion to earn 200k airline miles which we used for nearly all of our flights on this trip (with the exception of our last minute name change on airplane ticket).
- No question about it we got a great deal on our cruise tickets. It was a tremendous value and I made the most of it eating steak 13 out of the 14 nights on the cruise :-). Wow it was good - I won't be eating like that again for a while.
- $3,000+ is a lot of money to spend on a vacation. That would go a long way towards paying down our rental mortgage, but I still think it was worth it - we had a great time. I'm interested in doing this type of extended trip again if we can get a similar amount of value out of it.
- We were very fortunate to have good friends available to care for our dog and family take care of our daughter while we went on this trip. Had they not been available we would likely not been able to take this trip. Certainly the expenses associated with the trip would have been much more than they were.
Related in Cruise Vacation:
Householding Accounts for Airline Miles (Feb 24, 2013) My family is considering a couple potential international travel opportunities this year and it will be the first time the full family (2 parents + 2 kids) would be traveling. I am an airline mile feind and one early concern...
Marriott Hotels Summer Promotion Get 1 Free Night After 2 Stays (Jul 09, 2012) While on my recent last minute business trip I did what I could to take advantage of hotel chain promotions to maximize rewards. Here are a couple summer promotions that caught my eye:Marriott Hotels, Earn 1 Free Night at any...
More Savings on our Transatlantic Cruise (Dec 19, 2011) I usually find it valuable after a big expense like our recent transatlantic cruise to reflect on the value of our expenses and if there are areas where we might be able to do slightly better the next time. A...