September 2012 Net Worth Update (+$33,420)
September was an all around fantastic month for us with positives across the board!
Highlights for September
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money. We are actively looking at taking advantage of new credit card arbitrage opportunities.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our October Zillow property estimates are: $195,012; $126,354; $288,446; and $232,711.
- My wife and I were blessed with our 2nd daughter in September. We are all still getting settled and I'm using a couple weeks of vacation I saved up to help with the adjustment.
- September was an awesome month for our investment portfolio and we performed nicely compared to our benchmark (+3.47% vs +2.50%) for a change. I'll post our investment report shortly.
- September also marks the third month in the row with an above average ($20k+) jump in net worth. We are now a stone's throw away from being millionaires (on the balance sheet at least). Assuming the economy stays on track we will hit the million net worth mark before year-end. Its a big motivator for me for the last couple weeks and I'm starting to relish the moment as its been a long time coming. I'm thinking its important to somehow celebrate the milestone with my wife to recognize everything we've done and sacrificed to get here in our journey to financial freedom. I'll have to give that some thought - let me know if you have any ideas.
- We reshuffled some mortgages to reduce our overall cash flow requirements. With the payoff of the primary mortgage on House #1, I received a $2,500+ payment for the escrow balance from the mortgage (for property taxes/insurance) and applied those funds to the equity line on property #2. I plan to pay the property taxes from that equity line at the end of the year.
- Part of our cash increase for the month was the result of submitting all our health expenses for the year to our flexible spending account. Its a nice little cash boost.
- We locked in on a 3.5%, 30yr fixed, no closing cost refinance on property #4 during the last week of September (we are currently at 4.325%). Im hoping this will further help us free up additional cash flow, but don't want to bank on it just yet. I'll post further details once we get further into the refinance.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...