January 2013 Net Worth Update (+$43,105)
We crossed a major financial milestone this month!
Highlights for January
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money. We are currently taking advantage of a promotion for a Capital One Spark Business Credit Card that offered a $500 bonus after spending $4,500 within the 1st 3 months and offers 1.5% cash back off all purchases with no annual fee.
- We used Amazon payments to boost our spending this month to take advantage of the credit card promotion. As a result we had additional cash (and corresponding credit card liabilities) on our balance sheet this month.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our Feb Zillow property estimates are: $190,216; $119,582; $292,580 (which recently appraised for $270k); and $227,587.
- We crossed that major milestone this month to become millionaires on our balance sheet. Its been a non event for us so far, but it is recognition we are making regular progress towards our financial freedom goal. It has been a 12 year ride for me to reach this point, the majority of it captured in this blog.
- We had some unanticipated issues with our home's furnace this month and ultimately purchased a new unit for ~$4k. Wasn't a very timely purchase given we allocated the majority of our cash/emergency fund in our no cost refinance in November, but just a small blip in an otherwise very positive month.
- We paid our annual auto insurance premium of ~$1k this month.
- In January our investment portfolio rocked! It compared nicely to our benchmark (6.72% vs 5.61%). I'll post our investment report shortly.
Related in Net Worth:
March 2014 Net Worth Update (+$14,117) (Apr 03, 2014) Highlights for FebruaryWe are close to finishing up earning $1,000 in credit card signup bonuses for 2 credit card signups w/ spending requirements. Im not spending extra, but focusing our spending on these new cards to earn the bonuses...
February 2014 Net Worth Update (+$21,948) (Mar 04, 2014) Highlights for FebruaryWe are in the middle of earning $1,000 in credit card signup bonuses for 2 credit card signups w/ spending requirements. Im not spending extra, but focusing our spending on these new cards to earn the bonuses.Our...
2013 Net Worth Growth (Feb 15, 2014) Here are some updated charts on our net worth growth and investment portfolio with Yr2013 included: Our financial freedom goal of $2million + our primary residence is getting closer to reality. If only we could have 4 more years in...