January 2013 Net Worth Update (+$43,105)
We crossed a major financial milestone this month!
Highlights for January
- We like to take advantage of 0% APR balance transfers and other credit card offers for free money. We are currently taking advantage of a promotion for a Capital One Spark Business Credit Card that offered a $500 bonus after spending $4,500 within the 1st 3 months and offers 1.5% cash back off all purchases with no annual fee.
- We used Amazon payments to boost our spending this month to take advantage of the credit card promotion. As a result we had additional cash (and corresponding credit card liabilities) on our balance sheet this month.
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We did this while the real estate market was riding high and we continue to do it now during the slide. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our Feb Zillow property estimates are: $190,216; $119,582; $292,580 (which recently appraised for $270k); and $227,587.
- We crossed that major milestone this month to become millionaires on our balance sheet. Its been a non event for us so far, but it is recognition we are making regular progress towards our financial freedom goal. It has been a 12 year ride for me to reach this point, the majority of it captured in this blog.
- We had some unanticipated issues with our home's furnace this month and ultimately purchased a new unit for ~$4k. Wasn't a very timely purchase given we allocated the majority of our cash/emergency fund in our no cost refinance in November, but just a small blip in an otherwise very positive month.
- We paid our annual auto insurance premium of ~$1k this month.
- In January our investment portfolio rocked! It compared nicely to our benchmark (6.72% vs 5.61%). I'll post our investment report shortly.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...