December 2013 Net Worth Update (+$24,052)
Highlights for December
- We close 2013 with a fantastic year of growth for our balance sheet. Our balance sheet grew $248K, more than any previous year for our family (see net worth growth for a nice summary of previous years). Another 4 years like this and we'll be financially free; if only!
- Our properties are listed on our balance sheet based on their cost basis, not current market value. We have done this during the the real estate market highs and lows. I believe real estate is too illiquid to list based on recent sale transactions. For those interested, our December Zillow property estimates are: $210,482; $126,824; $295,330; and $238,678 (total: $871,314).
- Our December net worth growth is driven by paper gains in the stock market and one time employer reimbursements from our move back to US. Expenses should be catching up with us in January.
- My employer changed its 401k match contributions in 2013 to be paid fully at year end vs each paycheck. It turns out these funds won't show up in my 401k until Jan 1, 2014. That is a bit of pain from a balance sheet reporting perspective as we will end up getting ~$10k in 401k matches reported in 2014 vs 2013. We still get the match so I can't complain too much.
- Leaving our house idle for 7 months while we were on assignment has been more costly than I expected. Upon our return both our cars needed work, our well/plumbing system needed some repairs, and several other things around the house are not working. Not to mention the 6+ months worth of maintenance work I now need to catch up on. Still it feels good to be home for a bit.
- Career planning should be a major theme for me in early 2014 as I figure out what I'm going to do next now that my assignment is complete.
Related in Net Worth:
December 2016 Net Worth Update (+$19,452) (Feb 04, 2017) Highlights for DecemberIm far behind with updates on the blog for the past several months. Playing catch-up.We closed 2016 with a nice gain offsetting increased spending. Our net worth rose $170,147 in 2016 still comfortably ahead of our financial...
August 2016 Net Worth Update (+$27,077) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for AugustOur net worth hit $1.5M for the first time in August. It took 43 months to growth $500,000 since January 2013 when our net worth first crossed $1M to get here. I signed up for a US...
July 2016 Net Worth Update (+$33,703) (Oct 03, 2016) Highlights for JulyJuly was a much quieter month for us as we returned from our overseas trip from Vienna early in the month and stayed home for the rest of the month.After turning the keys over in June on...