Carnival Fantasy Cruise Ship Tips
Based on our trip on the Carnival Cruise ship Fantasy from Charleston to the Bahamas I have a couple recommendations to maximize fun while minimizing cruise expenses.
Our Cruise Tips
- A big selling point to me for a cruise is the lack of internet/phone access. Technically phone/internet access is available, but at cost prohibitive rates. I found this to be the first vacation where I could really unplug in the past couple years and it made this vacation that much more enjoyable.
- You can bring in 1 bottle of wine per person in your carry-on luggage. Take advantage of this to minimize on-board alcohol purchases.
- We were able to get a bottle of liquor in our checked luggage onto the boat and this helped us avoid any on-board alcohol purchases.
- There was free champagne at the art gallery opening
- We enjoyed free cocktails at the Fun Farewell Party on the last day of the cruise again helping us to avoid on-board alcohol purchases.
- We'd recommend getting to the Charleston port before 12:30pm on embarkation day to reduce wait time and maximize time on the boat.
- Lido deck food lines can get pretty long. We waited up to 45min for our 1st meal. I'd recommend taking advantage of more meals in the dining room to enjoy better service and less waiting in lines. Also the food generally tended to be better in the dining room.
- Our top foods on the ship were the Mongolian Grill, sticky buns, key lime pie, chocolate melting cake, large fresh fruit selection, and most dinner entries in the dining room.
- See our Nassau port recommendations and Freeport port excursions recommendations.
- We really enjoyed the comedy shows on the ship.
- We stayed at a local hotel the night before the cruise for $145 which included round trip transfer to the Charleston port and parking for the cruise. We found it an attractive alternative to parking directly at the port for $15/day that let us spend an extra day in Charleston.
Related in Cruise Vacation:
Householding Accounts for Airline Miles (Feb 24, 2013) My family is considering a couple potential international travel opportunities this year and it will be the first time the full family (2 parents + 2 kids) would be traveling. I am an airline mile feind and one early concern...
Marriott Hotels Summer Promotion Get 1 Free Night After 2 Stays (Jul 09, 2012) While on my recent last minute business trip I did what I could to take advantage of hotel chain promotions to maximize rewards. Here are a couple summer promotions that caught my eye:Marriott Hotels, Earn 1 Free Night at any...
More Savings on our Transatlantic Cruise (Dec 19, 2011) I usually find it valuable after a big expense like our recent transatlantic cruise to reflect on the value of our expenses and if there are areas where we might be able to do slightly better the next time. A...